EVENT: NZ’s mountain biking “Test Piece” for endurance athletes and people with a sense of adventure.
LOCATION: Lake Hawea, Wanaka, on the foot hills of the Southern Alps, New Zealand.
Appropriately described as the longest and most scenic MTB race in NZ.
- Choose one of the two circumnavigations of Lake Hawea near Wanaka at 125 /95 km and enjoy the 100% pure South Island High Country Station scenery and remoteness on a ride you will never forget.
- Or as an introduction, head in the other direction and complete the 35km Traverse riding through private farm land, traversing the mighty Clutha and Hawea Rivers, and back to the Lake Hawea Hotel. A great option for beginners and intermediate riders as an introduction to the Contact Epic Experience. (see course page for details).
Here are 7 good reasons why we put this event on….You only need one to do it!
- Because not all mountain bikers are created equal.
- Because it’s the longest and most scenic race in the country.
- Because you can only race it once a year.
- Because you don’t know how good you are until you have kicked its butt!
- Because the medal you get at the end, you have to earn…Big Time.
- Because it’s old school, No cotton wool, No shortcuts, No excuses.
- Because its about raising the bar for endurance racing in NZ.
Click here for training tips