Race Rules and Waiver
Read carefully: Non compliance with any of the Race Rules may result in disqualification of the competitor from this event.
- Approved cycle helmets (NZ safety standard) must be worn at all times.
- NZ Road rules apply at all times to all persons, on all private or public roads during this event. There are no road closures.
- Riders must not ride more than two abreast on State Highway 6 (transit road rule).
- Riders must ride in single file if impending vehicle traffic behind you (transit road rule).
- Competitors must keep as far left as possible at all times, on all roads and tracks to ensure sufficient and safe passing.
- Competitors must not deviate from the obvious track or attempt to take shortcuts.
- Competitors expecting to be riding in the hours of darkness must have front and rear facing lights.
- Drafting is permitted.
- Any competitor withdrawing from the race must inform a Race Marshal at the first possible opportunity after the decision to withdraw is made.
- Competitors must know how to fix basic mechanical breakdowns (chain break and repair flat tyres).
- You are not permitted to alter or cut the event number plate in any way.
- Event officials / Marshalls reserve the right to remove any competitor if they consider they are not capable of safely completing the event for any reason.
- Non-registered riders will not be allowed on any part of the privately owned land.
- Please do not leave any rubbish along the route. All food wrappers, drink bottles, tubes etc must be carried to the finish line and not discarded anywhere along the route except at the Aid Stations.
- Anyone seen discarding rubbish will be disqualified and will not receive a finisher medal or merit prize as applicable (take memories and or photos but leave only tyre marks ).
- All gates must be left as they are found.
- No outside assistance is allowed by support crews to any competitor and no supporters will be allowed to follow riders on the course.
- Competitors must read the pre race course briefing notes supplied at registration.
- Competitors must obey instructions from Marshals at all times. They are there for everyone’s safety and enjoyment.
- For Epic riders you are not allowed to use a road bike or swap bikes after completing the tarseal section of this event. You must finish on the bike you start on, unless you have had a major breakdown and use a hire bike from the tail end charlie vehicle.
For safety reasons we are unfortunately obliged to enforce a cut off time. This will be at the exposed Dingle Burn Bluffs, approximately 90km mark for the Epic riders. If you do not reach this point by last light then you will be officially withdrawn from the event.
To receive a finishers' medal you must complete the entire course under you own steam with at least part of your bike.
To be eligible for prize money you must enter one of the Open categories and place either 1st, 2nd or 3rd in that category.
- Entries are not transferable. We need to know who is on the course and what medical conditions you may have so we can deliver the appropriate response in the event of an accident.
- The race director has a non-appealable right to disqualify for breaches of the rules and credit time for those who help other competitors in crash or injury situations.
- Recommended gear as per the list below should be carried. However the best person to make that decision about your safety is you. Check the weather here and here. Consider how long you could be out there, consider the worst case scenario and plan accordingly. We believe if people are thinking for themselves then they are safer than someone telling them what to do. We can have four seasons in one day in this part of the country so plan accordingly, think smart and race well.
- 2 tubes or a puncture repair kit
- Tyre leavers
- Multi tool
- Chain breaker (learn how to use it please)
- Poly prop / Thermal layer top and bottoms
- Serious waterproof jacket.
- First Aid kit (gauze squares, tape, a couple of Paracetamol or Nurofen tablets, an elastic crepe bandage, sunscreen, anti-chaff cream).
- Whistle in case you go over a bank, break a leg and no one can see you.
- Survival blanket in case you are there for some time whistling.
- At least one water bottle and sufficient food to meet your individual energy needs for 5-10 hours of riding.
For cold weather
- Poly prop / Thermal beanie
- Full finger gloves
- Shoe covers
NOTE: We want you to enjoy this challenge regardless of the weather. Help us to help you. Anticipate the things that could go wrong and plan accordingly. Make sure you have the gear to get you to the finish line.
Waiver and Release of Liability Form
You will be asked to tick a box on the entry form to say you have read and agree to this waiver before you can enter this event.
I acknowledge that I have sole responsibility for my personal possessions and equipment during this event and its related activities. I also confirm that my mountain bike is safe, in a good state of repair and are suitable to handle the rough and demanding conditions of this off road event.
I have read, accept, understand and agree to abide by the Race Rules above. I will comply with all the directions given on the event website, entry form, emails, newsletters, pre-race briefing information, course signage and marshals. I am in sound physical condition, capable of safely competing in the event.
I acknowledge and assume all of the risks associated with this event. I acknowledge that an event of this nature, given the distance, terrain, hazards and weather conditions are inherently dangerous. I accept full responsibility for obtaining adequate skills to negotiate and avoid hazards on the course and that I am waiving and releasing my legal rights to sue for any injury or damages what so ever arising out of or resulting from my participation in this event.
On behalf of myself, my executors, administrators, heirs, next of kin, successors and assigns, and anyone else who might sue on my behalf, I hereby waive, release, and forever discharge all event sponsors, event producers, event staff, administrators, officials, contractors, vendors, and organisers (including race directors), volunteers, all other persons, organisations or entities involved with this event, cities, towns, and other governmental bodies and locations in which this event takes place from any and all claims, causes of action, damages, losses (economic and non-economic), and liabilities of every kind, for death, personal injury, or property damage, which may arise out of, result from, or relate to my participation in, or my traveling to or from this event.
I agree and authorise LMS Events and its sponsors to use photographs, video and film taken during the event to advertise their products or to promote the event at no cost to the organisers and sponsors. I agree that the information I have provided may be used by the LMS Events for the purpose of administration, promoting future or other events or for the promotion of the race sponsors products and services. (Refer Privacy Act 1993).
If signing on behalf of a minor (under 18yrs) I declare that I have full power and authority on behalf of said person to sign this form and accordingly release all liability from LMS Events and associates as above and indemnify on behalf of such persons.
I voluntarily acknowledge this Waiver and Release of Liability Form and explicitly agree to its content.